Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ernest Hemingway Quotes

Ernest Hemingway has been my favorite author for most of my life.  Not only is he a fantastic writer, but his outlook on life and way of portraying that to his readers is something I love.  I just found a bunch of quotes from him and picked some of my favorites to share.




"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" 
 Ernest Hemingway


"I drink to make other people more interesting." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"All thinking men are atheists." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"Never confuse movement with action." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"The first and final thing you have to do in this world is to last it and not be smashed by it." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"You know it makes one feel rather good deciding not to be a bitch." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated. " 
 Ernest Hemingway (The Old Man and the Sea)


"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don’t know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use."
— 
Ernest Hemingway



"But life isn't hard to manage when you've nothing to lose." 
 Ernest Hemingway


"In order to write about life first you must live it." 
 Ernest Hemingway

1 comment:

  1. "But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated. "— Ernest Hemingway

    . Lovely quote this one. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete